Smoked Peach Bourbon Cake
Peach Upside Down Cake with Buttermilk
For the caramel topping
- 8 tablespoons (113g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup (107g) light brown sugar
- 4 medium peaches, pitted and sliced
For the cake
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup (160ml) buttermilk
- Preheat the smoker to 350°F. I used my Monument pellet grill and used pecan pellets for a softer smoke flavor. Grease a high-sided 9-inch round cake pan with butter. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and grease the parchment. Dust the pan lightly with flour, then tap out any excess.
- Make the caramel topping: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, or in a small bowl in the microwave. Take the butter off the heat, add the brown sugar, and whisk until fully combined.
- Pour the caramel topping into the pan and arrange peach slices: Pour the caramel topping into the prepared cake pan. Arrange the peach slices in a single layer on top of the caramel, making concentric circles.
- Combine the dry ingredients for the cake:In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Beat the butter and granulated sugar: In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or in a large mixing bowl with a hand mixer, beat together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla: Add the egg and vanilla extract and beat until fully combined. Scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Combine the wet and the dry: Add a third of the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix on low speed until incorporated. Pour in half of the buttermilk mixture and continue mixing on low speed just until combined. Continue alternating the dry and wet ingredients, making sure to end with the dry ingredients and mixing until just combined. Use a rubber spatula to scrape down the bowl in between additions to ensure the batter mixes evenly.
- Add the batter to the pan: Spread the cake batter evenly over the peach slices and caramel.
- Bake: Bake the cake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Turn out the cake: Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn the cake out onto a platter while it’s still warm. Run a knife around the edges to loosen the cake from the pan. Place the serving platter upside down on top of the cake pan. Flip the whole thing, cake pan and platter, so the cake releases upside down onto the platter that will now be right side up. If the parchment is stuck to the cake, peel it off. It’s okay if any peach slices or caramel stick to the bottom of the pan, just place them back on top of the cake and rearrange the peach slices to fill any gaps.
- Serve: Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.This is SURE to be a HUGE hit. The tangy buttermilk, the fluffy cake, the sweet peaches, and the smoke topping (because smoke is a flavor) will make everyone around you (that's flip upside down) for this cake! Until next time, make sure you eat well and do well!