- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp Avocado oil
- 6 mini sweet bell peppers or 1 whole pepper, quartered and seeds removed
- Avocado oil spray (optional)
- Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice (remaining cut into wedges - divided)
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 2 tsp Granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Cayenne powder
- Corn tortillas (8-10, 5-inch)
- Pepper Jack or Monterey Jack cheese (1/3 to 1/2 pound, shredded)
1. Heat both sides of the grill over medium heat.
2. In a bowl, add sliced onions and whole mini bell peppers, tossed with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spray or rub one side of the grill grates with avocado oil. Add the bell peppers and onions. Grill until tender and lightly charred, about 3 minutes on each side. Remove to a cutting board and dice. Keep warm.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the tomato paste, 2 tablespoons lime juice, and 2 tablespoons water in a medium bowl until blended. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet onto the other side of the grill and heat the pan, for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Or you can use your side burner for your Monument Grill.
4. When the pan is heated, add 2 tablespoons of oil and ground beef. Season with salt and pepper and break up the meat using a wooden spoon. Sauté until browned halfway, about 2 minutes. Add the chili powder, garlic, onion powder, cumin, and cayenne and continue to sauté, browning the meat and toasting the spices until evenly blended with the beef, 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Stir in the tomato sauce and warm through about 30 seconds. Immediately remove from the grill. Stir in the cilantro because you’re Fancy!
6. Lightly spray or brush the tortillas with avocado oil on both sides. Warm them on the grill until lightly toasted but still pliable, about 30 seconds on each side. Remove and stack on a clean kitchen towel and keep covered until ready to assemble or they’ll dry out and crack.