- 6 large jalapeño peppers whole
- ½ cup cream cheese softened
- ½ cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- juice of ½ a lime
- 12 slices of bacon
- Preheat a charcoal or gas grill to high.
- Prepare the peppers: Wash and drain the peppers well. Cut the stem off each jalapeño; cut in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon, scrape out seeds and membranes.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and cheddar cheese, garlic and onion powders, cumin, cayenne pepper, lime zest, and lime juice, until well blended.
- Stuff the jalapeño halves, by spooning the cream cheese mixture into both halves of each jalapeño slice. Wrap each half pepper with a slice of bacon. Use a wet toothpick to secure the bacon, if needed.
- Arrange bacon-wrapped poppers on a grilling tray or directly on the grate, over medium heat. Grill turning occasionally, until the bacon is crispy and the pepper is cooked through about 15 to 20 minutes.
Don’t worry, some of the cheese may come out while cooking. It’s fine… We use a metal grilling tray for these. It makes grilling these even easier and corrals some of that oozing cheese from dropping through the grate. Caution: The filling is hot! Cool at least 5 to 10 minutes before serving.