BBQ Chicken Wings
23 Nov 2021 0 Comments
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed (or more if you prefer)
- 6 Tbsp. double-concentrated tomato paste
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 4 tsp. Sriracha or other hot sauce
- Vegetable oil (for grill)
- 1 (3½–4-lb.) whole chicken, cut into 6–8 pieces, or whatever bone-in cut of chicken you feel like cooking
- Sea salt
With its high precision temperature control,
the pellet grill can be expanded into
a versatile cooking station for various needs.
Prepare and Cook the Chicken
- Heat olive oil in a small saucepan over medium. Cook garlic, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly and scraping bottom of pan, until slightly darkened, about 3 minutes.
- Add maple syrup, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and Sriracha. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until flavors have come together, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Transfer about half of barbecue sauce to a heatproof bowl and set aside for serving.
- Prepare a grill for medium-high indirect heat (for a charcoal grill, bank coals on one side of grill; for a gas grill, leave one or two burners off); oil grate. Season chicken generously with salt. Grill chicken over direct heat, turning every minute, until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Move chicken over indirect heat. Cover, positioning vent (if your grill has one) over chicken, and continue to grill, keeping grill covered as much as possible and turning every 5 minutes or so, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 140°F–145°F, 18–25 minutes depending on the size of the pieces.
- Baste chicken with barbecue sauce and grill, turning and basting occasionally, until thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 160°F for breast and 165°F for dark meat, about 10 minutes longer.
- Arrange chicken on a platter. Serve with reserved barbecue sauce alongside.